Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Nylon gear adhesive

On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 4:53:46 AM UTC-5, Fletcher wrote:
What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Nylon is tough to bond. I've never seen any adhesive do more than support it's own weight at best.

In any case, the gear is so thin that edge adhesion won't hold even with a suitable adhesive assuming one exists. I've done plastic gears like that by epoxying a suitable size washer on both sides if you have the clearance. But those were regular plastic. I don't know if that will work on nylon even given the large contact area of two washers and epoxy. You can always drill through the gear and washer sandwich and pin both sides together. It also looks like it has tooth damage as well, so if you get it to work it will thump as it rotates as long as it doesn't jam.

Other than that, an old timer with a jeweler's lathe could make one for you out of metal, or if you know a tool maker.