Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
TheExperimenter TheExperimenter is offline

Default stun gun acquisition and testing

On 2019-11-06, TheExperimenter wrote:
Ok, this post is for all the people making a big fuss when I asked about
stun gun components.Â* I got ahold of one this week called VIPERTEK
VTS-881, a small red unit with a claimed "35 billion" volts.Â* This
design comes in many forms and is marketed by different firms with
Vipertek being only one.

First tests were spark gap distance.Â* Just under 1/2".Â* Spark gap is
adjustable and discharges really slow down/ stop at 1/2" or more.Â* So,
what does that tell you about voltage?Â* For one thing, no where near the
volts advertised.

It's about 3000V/mm so ballpark 35kV

35GV would produce gamma rays.

The OP didn't have to tell us he was American it's entirely natural
process for an American to not at all believe what some engineers say
about it and have to shock themselves multiple times with a stun gun to
figure out that it doesn't actually produce 35 billion volts, and write
an angry letter to the mfgr that it didn't at all blast them straight
thru a wall when it was turned on. what a rip off.

Unfortunately, such an angry letter would do no good since *many*
venders are selling these identical units under many different brand
names and models.

Well, before I tested it, I did some research. Information is available
online as to its true voltage and current, both of which were the
determining factors to test or not.

I have some understanding of the psychology of my compatriots. /shrug