Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
[email protected] jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com is offline

Default my DIY solder smoke remover

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 12:16:41 -0400, Jim Horton
wrote:

Ok, after getting some ideas here and online, this is similar to what I
ended up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=034F2JKX1Rs

The idea is to wet the layers to better grab smoke particles. I ended
up modifying it slightly:

https://i.imgur.com/SaStzwr.jpg

That is simply a five foot dryer duct extension taped onto the side of
the unit.

Learned something about RTV here. The blue RTV you see around the fan
did not stick to the PP box! Yet, the aluminum tape I used to secure
the duct to the side worked fine.

Performance wise, the duct made the unit a lot more versatile. I can
move the suction to just about anywhere I need it without having to move
the entire unit. The range appears to be up to about 6". I used the
strongest fan I could find, a 120mm one rated at 78 cfm. If I wanted to
spend more, I know there are some close to double that cfm.

I didn't have any incense to try, but the maker claims it filters it out
well enough that he can't smell it. There's still one mod I think I
will make and that is adding an activated carbon layer. There's
another video online showing such a DIY filter attached to the fan using
a non-functional fan. That would use the least carbon and make for easy
changing.

The main drawback with the device is having to use the wet filters and
it takes them a good twelve hours to dry and that's under a ceiling fan.
Don't want to trade filtered air for mold!

It would be as effective to get a small fan and gently waft the smoke
away. Most of it will stick to room surfaces or diffuse away, and
never be inhaled.

This is a great thing to have around:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We were using one yesterday to experiment with a 250 watt class-D amp,
to measure heat sink temp vs air flow.

With these, too:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1