Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moving a lathe with feet?

On 10/31/2019 9:51 AM, Davej wrote:
I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.

Depends on the lathe. I moved my 2000lb 14x40 by lifting it up one end
at a time with a straight pick through the lifting holes and a pair of
farm jacks, then set it down on modestly heavy furniture dollies. By
sweeping up the smooth concrete floor thoroughly two of us easily moved
it to its new locations (twice). One time I left it on the dollies for
two months while I built a machine room in my shop. Dollie wheels
developed small flat spots, but after we got it moving it positioned
easily. Then after it was in position we set it down the same way. One
end at a time. We got it within a couple inches, and were easily able
to use the straight pick to shift it into its exact position.

I don't think I would move anything heavier that way though. The
dollies handled it just fine, but I really think it was the limits of
the casters. I also wouldn't do it by myself for fear of overpowering
it and knocking it over. With two people it was pretty easy.
I did move the saddle and the tail stock all the way to the end opposite
of the head to try and limit the chance of tipping over end wise on the
head, and lifted the head end first. Setting down we lowered the tail
stock end first for the same reason.