John Grabowski

Default Installing a sub panel from a sub panel

In addition to what the other posters have said, I would add this: Avoid
direct burial of aluminum wire. Even though aluminum is approved for the
purpose, if it is not installed carefully under optimum conditions the
failure of the wire can be premature. If you want to use aluminum wire, use
single conductors pulled into conduit such as PVC.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"rchtravel" wrote in message
om...
Yeah I know, the title is interesting huh? Let me explain...I bought
a 26 year old house and gutted it replacing just about all the wiring
except for some of the ceiling light runs. The original main panel is
100 amp and because of an addition that was built, another 100 amp
sub-panel was installed 18" away and next to the "main" panel. This
was done by a professional electrician with the proper permits pulled
and final inspection was approved about 2 years ago (the state is MI
by-the-way). Oh, and he also replaced and installed new wire from the
transformer on the pole to the original 100 amp house panel.

NOW MY QUESTION:

I have a barn that needs power and requires a wire run of about 75-80
feet (actual run length from box to box, not just the distance from
house to barn). What I would like to do is run direct bury, #2
aluminum (4 wire) from a 100 amp breaker in the house sub-panel,
underground to another 100 amp sub-panel in the barn. The electrician
I hired 2 years ago said that doing so would not be a problem as long
as the 2nd sub panel in the barn was properly grounded. I would like
other opinions or advice on this please.

Why 100 amp instead of 60 amp in the barn you ask? Why not, besides I
already have a Square D 100 amp panel I bought that was much cheaper
than 60 amp panels I looked at, not to mention the expandability 100
amps offers. In the barn I plan to run lights, 20 amp power outlets,
an air compressor (220), small arch welder (220), gas furnace, and
typical power tools such as a table saw, drill press, etc...

Of course, if my "plans" aren't safe, than I would certainly change
whatever was needed to be considered safe. That's why I'm asking for
feedback from this group. In hind-sight, I really wish I would have
bought a new 200 amp panel when I remodeled the house. Ah...if only I
knew everything....lol

Thank you in advance, it's appreciated!

RC