Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's Your Favorite Style Home Made (shop built) Tap Wrench

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On 10/26/2019 10:41 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 21:49:52 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I'm looking at making a couple bigger ones for pipe taps, and I
am
leaning towards a 4 piece. Two pieces of round bar threaded on
one
end and two drilled pieces of square bar with a V cut in the
middle.
Its not as fast to make as a simple two piece, but for most jobs
tool another tool would not be required to change taps.

The two bar version with thumb screws doesn't need a wrench
either.
Like this, in my local hardware store.
https://www.amazon.com/Shear-Loc-SLK.../dp/B002IBGWVK

Ya gotta love the pricing: $0.36 + $9.25 shipping

I like the custom look of turning only the edges off the square
stock
handles, leaving a flat down the center that blends into the
square on
the working end, and a hemisphere at the outer end, which you can
turn
with a corner rounding end mill in a boring bar holder.

That tool is a two bar brake line nut wrench that clamps around
the
mangled nut and swages it back to hex shape as it loosens it. It
was
in the little bag of home made goodies that got me the job at
Segway.

Pic, please. It sounds interesting.

Yessir. I sure would love to see that. I was picturing how it was
made until you basically said it can securely hold a square object
or reshape a hex shaped object. Then my brain went Bzzzzzzt!

The opening between the bars is a 3/8" hex. It also clamps on and
loosens 7/16" brake fittings better than a flare wrench but doesn't
reshape them as well as 3/8". The end mill has just enough clearance
to mill one side of the hex without cutting into the corner of the
opposite side. \_/

I once posted it on Picasa. Since it closed I haven't created an
account on another service and practice describing things in text,
which is a challenge because I'm one of the engineering types who
"talks" with a pencil or chalk.