Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rifling machine plans

"David Billington" wrote in message
On 23/10/2019 10:58, Steve W. wrote:
Anyone got a site or place where there are plans or drawings that
show something like a sine bar machine or other style that wouldn't
be that hard to build?

Am thinking of building a flintlock or percussion rifle all from
scratch.

An interesting question, I remember when I grew up in the US in the
1970s seeing a film several times of a working museum, in
Pennsylvania?, that preserved the techniques for making long rifles,
Kentucky?, and the main detail was about the rifling technique and
mechanics used It didn't look high tech just required a bit of work
to produce the master screw which governed the rifling cutter.

The slow, tedious, manual method of gun making prompted several early
inventors to create automation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas...hard_(inventor)

Until around 1850 military contracts provided the only advance
financing and guaranteed demand to support buying new production
machinery. Combined with chronic labor shortages as immigrants headed
for the frontier, government rifle purchases were the first driver for
America's rapid advances in industrial automation. In 1800 we were a
backward third world nation, by the 1850's we were selling world-class
rifle production machines to Britain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Precision_Museum