Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson[_4_] Trevor Wilson[_4_] is offline

Default Took a peek into the Dumont 241 scope

On 13/10/2019 9:19 am, wrote:
I couldn't resist and took a peek into my Dumont model 241 scope.
The quality of the workmanship is top notch.
There are lots of components that I am going to need to check out.
Nothing looks like it ever got very hot so I'm hoping the resistor
colors haven't changed much.
There are many flat rectangular devices that I think are mica caps
but I'm gonna need some guidance identifying just what is what. While
I'm waiting for the caps and the inductor for the DeVRY scope I'll
need to start making a list of caps for the Dumont.
There are the ubiquitous paper caps and of course the round can
electrolytics. But there are also some large rectangular cans that I
suspect are also electrolytic caps.
You know, this is kind of fun. Reading about tube circuits and how
they work and then identifying the components inside something.
The power transformer is HUGE. The scope only draws 3 amps at 115
volts so I am wondering if the size is because of the high voltage
needed by the CRT. There is also a really big choke mounted above the
power xmfr.
Looking in the bottom I see that the large rectangular cans are
indeed electrolytic caps. They are being used as filters. There is a
can cap inside the bottom portion that is rated at 3500 VDC.
There is also inside the bottom what at first I though was a little
incandescent bulb. That didn't make any sense to me because it
wouldn't have illuminated anything that could be seen from outside the
scope. So then I thought maybe it was a neon bulb or similar. Removing
it I can see the elctrodes.They look like a hat that has bee split in
half vertically. It must be a neon bulb. But what for?
Cheers,
Eric

**It's a kind of vacuum tube zener.

--