Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Felt Pads on Chair Legs

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 12 Oct 2019 10:23:59 -0400, Wade Gattett
wrote:

I need to replace the stick-on felt pads I installed on wooden kitchen
chair legs to protect the laminated floor covering. The pads aren't in
all that bad a shape- but the self-stickum didn't last real well and
they keep coming loose.

Ideas for replacement?

Self-stick isn't very good** for anything under stress.

What are the legs made of? For wood, they have nail in things with
nylon or carpet bottoms.

What shape is their cross-section? Lot of products for round legs.
Less for other shapes, but still many things for sale.

**One exception: My Chrysler convertible came with 2" hard plastic
rectanagles with velcro sticking out of it to hold up the inner ceiling
of the car. They were pop-riveted to metal side-rails and front of the
roof. That velcro had worn out on that half but not on the hook half
sewn to the inner ceiling, so the ceiling drooped like a bed skirt. I
looked all over the web for the same thing. Could only find it if I
bought a couple hundred, and I wanted 6 or 8. Finally used stickum
velcro, and it worked really well. Lasted several years until the car
wore out. I had thought in hot weather the stickum would be no good at
all, and maybe one or two pieces moved and maybe I replaced them, but
all in all they worked well. Still, I only put any stress on them when
I lowered the top, once a day or less. OT3H, maybe there is not much
stress when you slide an empty chair around. OT4H, a lot more stress
when you're sitting in one and sliding it.