Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
D_Harris D_Harris is offline

Default Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods
end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish
this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a
roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want
to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this
rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

That sounds like an easy lathe job. Do you have one?

Yes, I have a lathe. What I don't have is welding equipment, yet. (I did learn MIG welding back in the early 80s).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.