Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

On 08/10/2019 22:04, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 9:22:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I think there must be a lot you have not mentioned. Otherwise you would just use a longer rod to begin with and not have to do any attaching.

Dan

Exactly what I was thinking as otherwise you would just use a 4" long
3/8" rod. Maybe a high grade material on the end of a lower grade shank
but without knowing material specs and purpose of what needs joining
it's difficult to know. Mention of roll pin and tapping would seem to
indicate the materials can be drilled and tapped and maybe welded from
the OP question.Â* From previous postings I and others thought this guy
might be a troll so maybe why so little detail.