Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Home forklift?

"Davej" wrote in message
I've been pondering scissor-lift tables and similar stuff for
years. The problem with most of them is that either their
minimum-height is still many inches, or their capacity is only
a few hundred to a thousand pounds. Lately I've been looking
again and I see some more interesting candidates. Does anyone
here own anything like this...?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dazone+2200lbs

Maybe this has been discussed to death here? If so can someone
give me the topic to search for? Thanks.

What do you need to lift?

I have a platform stacker that's good for working on snow throwers etc
and as a welding positioner, and a 2000# engine hoist with a wider,
more stable base to lift my small tractor or its engine and raise
heavy beams. I hardly ever use my hydraulic scissors lift because the
load or weldment can be better secured to the uprights of the platform
stacker.

My neighbor has a motorcycle lift for his Harleys that's probably more
practical to use than my stuff, except that he doesn't weld much. It
also permanently occupies garage floor space while I put larger wheels
on mine to roll on dirt and can put them away.

Unless I'm only working on the carburetor (which is most of the time)
I don't lift any higher than necessary so that wrench torque won't tip
it over. The wheeled lifts aren't as stable on dirt as on pavement.

The solution to raising a heavy load to platform height is a Johnson
bar.
https://www.shopjfi.com/5-ton-johnson-bar.html

You jack the load off the floor with it and a helper kicks blocks or
pipe rollers underneath. Two of them can roll a 5000 Lb machine from
the loading dock onto a flatbed. BTDT.