Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machine Shop niche areas

On 9/30/2019 2:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 9/30/2019 7:19 AM, wrote:
I met a guy at the local scrap yard.Â* He was dumping a couple of 55
gal drums of swarf.Â* He invited me to see has shop and I have since
visited his shop a number of times. He has hadÂ* the shop for about 6
months and does not have any specialty.Â* The major machines that he
has are a manual lathe, a turning center , and a Bridgeport.Â* And is
located in Wilmington , De.

SoÂ* does anyone have an idea of work he should be trying to cultivate?

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Dan

Â* I don't run my shop as a business , but occasionally I'll get stuff
in from local farmers . Could be anything from cleaning up an area on an
implement (PTO) drive shaft to machining/fabricating and welding in a
new gearbox mount plate on a bush hog . Your guy might want to look into
the local auto and motorcycle/ATV/personal watercraft shops . Somebody's
breakin' stuff that needs fixin' somewhere near him !

If you know of any shops that closed up just because the owner died or
retired find out what they were making towards the end. You might find
a niche, and you might find some cool old machines that somebody is
tired of looking at.