Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machine Shop niche areas

On 9/30/2019 7:19 AM, wrote:
I met a guy at the local scrap yard. He was dumping a couple of 55 gal drums of swarf. He invited me to see has shop and I have since visited his shop a number of times. He has had the shop for about 6 months and does not have any specialty. The major machines that he has are a manual lathe, a turning center , and a Bridgeport. And is located in Wilmington , De.

So does anyone have an idea of work he should be trying to cultivate?

Dan

Â* I don't run my shop as a business , but occasionally I'll get stuff
in from local farmers . Could be anything from cleaning up an area on an
implement (PTO) drive shaft to machining/fabricating and welding in a
new gearbox mount plate on a bush hog . Your guy might want to look into
the local auto and motorcycle/ATV/personal watercraft shops . Somebody's
breakin' stuff that needs fixin' somewhere near him !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old