Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Machine Shop niche areas

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 05:19:00 -0700, wrote:

I met a guy at the local scrap yard. He was dumping a couple of 55 gal
drums of swarf. He invited me to see has shop and I have since visited
his shop a number of times. He has had the shop for about 6 months and
does not have any specialty. The major machines that he has are a
manual lathe, a turning center , and a Bridgeport. And is located in
Wilmington , De.

So does anyone have an idea of work he should be trying to cultivate?

Dan

Any nearby factories that don't make everything themselves? He could
contact them and leave a card for when they need some special one-off
made, need some parts modified, etc. Leave your card at a few shops,
eventually one will need something and call. Once you've helped them out
once, you may get a call every once in a while.

Jon