Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AIR BLAST For Steel Milling

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On 9/27/2019 6:05 AM, wrote: On Thursday, September
26, 2019 at 11:46:29 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

If an air blast is useful for that sort of thing, what can I do
to use
the air more efficiently.

I would think using the ail to blow a mist would be a lot more

efficient. But understand that mist might not be good thing with
carbide.

Maybe use a hypodermic needle to use less air but direct the air
better.

Dan

Well, something along those lines, but I think that would not be
nearly enough air to be useful. Even the nozzle from an irrigating
syringe might be a little small.

I made a convergent nozzle to experiment with air flow amplification
by reaming the nozzle conical with a tapered D reamer. The reamer is a
lathe turned 20 degree steel cone milled lengthwise to the D
cross-section, and ground sharp, and the tip ground to a drill bit
shape.The aluminum nozzle blank was step-drilled before reaming
because the reamer doesn't cut freely, it has to be forced in.

Th outside of the nozzle is a somewhat steeper taper so it doesn't
impede air drawn into the exit jet. I reamed it larger until I liked
the result.