Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk[_2_] Leon Fisk[_2_] is offline

Default Air Dryers in Parallel

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 08:36:03 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

snip
Here is the quandry. Could I double my dry air capacity (pretty sure I
could) by just tying in my spare air dryer in parallel with the first?
Sure thee would be double regulators and double other hardware and
plumbing at the compressor, but what other drawbacks might there be?

I currently close a valve at the tank drain the lines, and shut off my
air dryer every day at the end of the day. This allows it to fully
drain, although it periodically drains when in use.

I was hoping someone else would chip in with a good answer...

I would think you would want to put them in series, not parallel. First
unit would bring it down to say 50, then second would bring it down
some more. In parallel I suspect it would be difficult to control the
flow between the two equally. Say for instance one failed or only
worked half as well as the other. Then the output would be no better
than the worst of the two negating one of them running perfectly...

The other choice would be to plumb their input in parallel but split
the outputs to different sets of machines (shrug).

I'm no expert, just some random thinking out loud

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI