Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some stainless knives are hard to sharpen well

wrote in message
On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 9:42:41 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus9254
wrote:
I sharpen knives on my bench grinder. I have a relatively fine hard
wheel on one end and a polishing style non-vowen wheel on the other.

Most stainless kitchen knives that are of whitish color are
relatively
easy to sharpen and then cut well.

I noticed that some knives with greyer stainless steel blades are
difficult to sharpen and somehow they do not like to stay sharp.

I spent a while today sharpening those two grey knives, first
cutting
a sharp vee on the grinding wheel, and then polishing, it finally
seems acceptable. But somehow they are clearly worse than other
knives. What gives? Ayn idea what steels they are?

Hi Iggy! I don't have time to get much into this, but as Joe said,
sharpening good knives on a bench grinder is a good way to wreck them.
(Joe -- real India stones (a Norton trademark for aluminum oxide) are
yellow-brown, not red, unless Norton has licensed out the trademark to
someone who makes them red) ...

--
Ed Huntress

Mine, one so old it's labelled PIKE INDIA, are red the way rust is
red, ie much closer to brown.