Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Some stainless knives are hard to sharpen well

On Sep 22, 2019, Ignoramus9254 wrote
(in ):

I sharpen knives on my bench grinder. I have a relatively fine hard
wheel on one end and a polishing style non-vowen wheel on the other.

Most stainless kitchen knives that are of whitish color are relatively
easy to sharpen and then cut well.

I noticed that some knives with greyer stainless steel blades are
difficult to sharpen and somehow they do not like to stay sharp.

I spent a while today sharpening those two grey knives, first cutting
a sharp vee on the grinding wheel, and then polishing, it finally
seems acceptable. But somehow they are clearly worse than other
knives. What gives? Ayn idea what steels they are?

Bench grinder? Thatīs a problem right from the start. Far too crude and
powerful for the purpose, and almost certain to burn the steel right at the
former cutting edge.
The grayer steel is probably also magnetic - as others have implied, this is
most likely the good knife steel.

The brighter steel is suitable for butter knives.

Some photos would help.

There is a large literature on knife sharpening, but for cooking knives an
india (red) stone used with water works well.

Joe Gwinn