Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some stainless knives are hard to sharpen well

On 9/22/2019 8:42 PM, Ignoramus9254 wrote:
I sharpen knives on my bench grinder. I have a relatively fine hard
wheel on one end and a polishing style non-vowen wheel on the other.

Most stainless kitchen knives that are of whitish color are relatively
easy to sharpen and then cut well.

I noticed that some knives with greyer stainless steel blades are
difficult to sharpen and somehow they do not like to stay sharp.

I spent a while today sharpening those two grey knives, first cutting
a sharp vee on the grinding wheel, and then polishing, it finally
seems acceptable. But somehow they are clearly worse than other
knives. What gives? Ayn idea what steels they are?

Â* Are the ones that won't take an edge magnetic ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old