Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default OT How old are you and how were you taught to read?

On 09/11/2019 05:38 AM, SC Tom wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
alt.home.repair added. Best to reply to this one.

OT How old are you and how were you taught to read?

I'm a year older than you. My father was military, so we moved around
quite a bit. My mother taught me to read before I even started school
(she was an RN, and had the patience, I guess, LOL), but I would assume
it was probably phonetics and word recognition.

I sat my girls on my lap and read to them, and eventually had them
reading out loud along with me, and they were both reading before
starting school (2 years apart). Granted, not at a middle school level,
but I would say probably at an early 2nd grade level. I assume that
would also be the phonetics and word recognition method.

I learned by the lap method too. My father would read the funny sheets
and books to me. One day he was busy so I started reading one of my
favorite books. My parents thought I was just playing until they asked
me to read it out loud.

Word recognition, I guess, but I really don't know. I do recall the
'Look, Dick, see Spot' literature was intensely boring.

There were a lot of books around the house and I read anything I could
lay my hands on including Frank Yerby's 'The Foxes of Harrow'. Loved the
book although it raised some questions about how I could correctly use
'octoroon' in seventh grade. Persons of color were more finely
categorized back then.