Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Progress Report - Phase Converter, Plus

Before having the converter positioned and wired, I had to remove a wood rack and its lumber. Got the converter "cabinet" built, electrician wired it Tuesday, and I installed some filters .... 3 Pics, scroll right
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

..... and since I was building stuff, I decided to remodel the shop doorway..... from the main shop area into the shop's garage (jointers/planer/bandsaw area).

I had been wanting to move that doorway ever since the building became a shop. The air compressor protrudes into the doorway about a foot, so I moved the doorway over a foot or so. Note the work bench and overhead shelves left of the doorway.
Before - https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

In order to move the doorway, I had to move that work bench and shelves to the other side of the log support post. I reinstalled only half of the shelves.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Got the framing, facings and door installed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...n/photostream/

There's enough room behind the door for the frig to fit. The frig presently protrudes into the double doorway that leads out the back of the shop. Now I have a decent place for the frig, rather than in that doorway.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...n/photostream/

It took about 3-4 weeks to do this remodeling, didn't work every day, though. It's been too hot out there, lately.

Also spent some time working on the rocker. It's glued up except for the arm rests. During glue up, something misaligned, so the armrests don't fit properly. I'll have to make new arm rests. Otherwise, after placing appropriate weight on the rocker, its balance and rocking action is really nice and smooth.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...n/photostream/

The converter motor runs really quiet, I was surprised. The jointer motor runs really quiet, was even more surprised. When hand spinning the motor/jointer head, I couldn't detect any bearing issues. I had wondered if, when fired up, there would be evidence of some bearing or other issues. I nor the electrician could detect any anomaly. The jointer motor runs very smooth and quiet, quieter than the Powermatic 8" jointer motor. I'm a happy camper, jointer-wise and shop remodel-wise.

Sonny