Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Cattle guards

On 8/28/19 7:08 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 28 Aug 2019 07:52:35 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 28 Aug 2019 05:51:14 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

Ranchers and farmers know about these but for the benefit of city guys:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7394651/cows-JUMP-white-line-middle-road-cross-new-field.html
My parent's neighbors had a couple of the the actual steel
version. Horses walked
right over them if I remember correctly.

This is very helpful. I thought cattle guards were cattle in uniform
with a handgun or rifle standing next to a little guard house. (I guess
if they're cattle, the guard house would have to be bigger than normal.)

I would've thought there would be at least a few pictures like this

http://www.vintagetexan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/cattleguard3.jpg

Actually, I already knew about cattle guards. There are a lot of them
in the USA, even in the east, and I've seen them and figured out what
they were, or someone told me first but I would have figured it out.

There aren't many in eastern Nebraska. I can't think of any
still around actually.
Guys are just raising crops and no critters in most cases. Ranches
are in north central
Nebraska, in the Sandhills.
Feedlots here but no ranches.

Step on a crack, break your mother's back.

We never actually said that when I was little, or ever. But I did hear
it when I was 30yo or more.

I guess that was part of some kid's game from long ago. One
reason they
were lean and mean back then.