Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default OT. Cattle guards

On 08/28/2019 04:51 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Ranchers and farmers know about these but for the benefit of city guys:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7394651/cows-JUMP-white-line-middle-road-cross-new-field.html

My parent's neighbors had a couple of the the actual steel
version. Horses walked
right over them if I remember correctly.

I was in the middle of nowhere behind a BMW, iirc,and we were rolling
along at 75 or so. Suddenly the brake lights on the Bimmer go on and the
car rapidly slows with no obstacle in sight. Seems the driver was
braking for a painted cattle guard. Must have been a city slicker.
Around here we don't slow down for real cattle guards.

I do hate walking across the damn things though. It never happened to me
but some people have managed to slip a foot through between the bars.