Posted to alt.home.repair

Default An idea I had concerning Student Loans

On 8/27/2019 9:35 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 09:35:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/27/2019 8:32 AM, Bill wrote:
An idea I had concerningÂ* Student Loans:

Pretty simple really, wonder why I haven't heard of it before...
A lot of big universities have very large financial endowments that they
are pretty proud of.Â* Why not primarily provide student loans by
requiring students to take out loans mostly sourced by the endowments of
the institutions where they attend.

I'm fairly certain you would see things "tighten up" all over. There
would be a serious concern over student success and "good" choices of
majors. Many majors would probably disappear over night.

What do you think?

Bill

Before you implement that, lets answer another question. Why is the
cost of education so high? The same people that complain about
corporate profits never ask about tuition costs or salaries of staff.

Also, should all these kids be in college? Too many end up in jobs that
can be done by a high school graduate but they are paying for a liberal
arts degree they will never use.

When there are 10 bodies lined up for that entry-level job, the one
WITH the degree has a better chance than the one without.

Not always. The best person for the job is the one that fits. Some
with degrees are over qualified, get bored and quit in a couple of
months. You don't need a masters degree in anthropology to shuffle
papers in an insurance company.

You worked in the auto industry. Would you hire a mechanical engineer
to mount and balance tires? Yeah, that would last a week or so.

I've hired hundreds of people, mostly unskilled or semi skilled
positions. Highly educated people in those positions are only temporary.