Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default An idea I had concerning Student Loans

On 8/27/2019 3:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/27/2019 2:13 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/27/2019 12:59 PM, Bill wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

IMO, for many of these kids today, they would be better off starting a
small business.

I was pretty surprised to see an HVAC-related school on the list of
schools with the highest default rates (in the article that was
shared in an earlier). I supposed that a degree in HVAC set one up
pretty well.

I didn't see the particular article, but likely that is one of the
scam outfits that does exist solely for the federal loan provided
tuition and doesn't do a lick of good in actually teaching the trade
so most are unqualified when they finish.

The HVAC program at the local CC does quite well by the student--there
are employers waiting for everybody we graduate -- but we don't
graduate them unless they qualify to do so.

It is also a pretty good career too.Â* You can make more than a lot of
degree holders. I know a couple of guys into 6 figures.

And, of course, quite a few of these end up starting their own
businesses either as one-man repairmen or, in the case of at least one,
has grown into one of the largest outfits in the region with over 100
technicians in seven permanent locations while have residents in some 20
other smaller places around the region. They're doing quite well
starting with two brothers.

A welding tech grad created a new endowment just a couple years ago in
the multiple six-figures range that might end up at seven before he's done.

A good tech degree/certificate is indeed a very good career path for
those not interested in formal four-year degrees. But, it needs be a
good program and the student has to put in the work as well to make it a
sure thing.