Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fox's Mercantile Fox's Mercantile is offline

Default Commodore 1702 Monitor, Intermittent Display Issue

On 8/16/19 7:50 AM, wrote:
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 8:32:53 AM UTC-4, Tim Schwartz

wrote:
Just goes to show you, it is not necessary to replace every
electrolytic capacitor that is over 6 weeks old.

Always that is possible.

One of my first projects was my parents Artone AM, FM and
Phone.
Put it on the bench, plug it in and turn it on.
Pffft. One of the wax paper caps blew it's guts out.
Replace it, and try it again.
Pffft. Another one of the wax paper caps blew it's guts out.
Replace it, and try it again.
Pffft. Yet another one of the wax paper caps blew it's guts out.
Replace it, and try it again.
Pffft. There goes on of the filter caps.
At this point I'd had enough of this foolishness. I replaced
EVERY remaining paper and electrolytic capacitor.

When I get a radio to work on, the very first thing I do is
replace all the paper and electrolytic capacitors. I am not
going to waste my time "trouble shooting" things I know are
bad, or will fail soon.

It's not called shotgunning, it's called not wasting my time.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0