Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT torque wrench

On 8/14/2019 5:19 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 14:46:44 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 5:22:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I lost the original thread from last year ? ..
but regardless and irregardless ..
I bought a new torque wrench today - after returning my second
Princess Auto $ 50. unit - both fell apart in my hands -
just doing snow tires in the driveway 2 times per year.
The new $ 120. DeWalt is almost a foot longer ooh ;
has a very fancy plastic case ; Whoo-ooh !
But one point that was made in the original thread -
using it to loosen the lug nuts - the DeWalt has
several warnings to NOT use it to loosen !

I Knowing what their purpose is and what they are used for,
I hope you didn't need that warning. About the only time I could see
using one to loosen a bolt would be if you wanted to see if it was excessively torqued.
Even then, not sure if you torqued it to 30 that means it will unscrew at 30,
might take more, but there should be a correlation.
A friend of mine was complaining that a tire shop had way over torqued his lugs.
He went back and the manager took a torque wrench, put it on a lug,
showed him that it clicked at the correct value and said that proved they torqued it correctly......

I used my cheapo to loosen the wheel nuts - but I'm pretty sure
that was not the failure cause - they both had screws loosen off -
in different spots . I suspect that homeowner torque wrenches
do not measure the loosening torque . .
professional tools - perhaps ?
Re-torquing click does not prove that it wasn't
originally over-torqued ... duh.
John T.

Â* You should both realize that breakaway torque is almost always
significantly higher than tightening torque ... Now I'm not a scientist
nor do I play one on TV , but I have done some "empirical studies" . In
my experience in several cases (yes , I actually did this) it "usually"
takes from 1.5 to 1.7 times the tightening torque to break the bolt
loose . I NEVER use my torque wrenches to loosen a bolt , that ain't
what they were designed for . I use Craftsman clickers for under 100
ft/lbs , I have Dad's beam/pointer wrench for stuff like the Harley comp
sprocket and final drive pulley nuts that need up to 150 ft/lbs .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old