Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Travis Perkins timber

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 06:48:13 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

On 13 Aug 2019 23:39:25 +0100 (BST)
Theo wrote:

indicating which branches have a timber cutting service (so I don't
have to try to fit 3.6m lengths in the car).

Roof rack. Then when you get home you can take time with your cutting
list so you make best use of the straightest bits.

My roof-bars are more often on the car than not because I often find
myself carrying stuff and what won't go inside goes on the roof.

Like, I went to pick up some shelving daughter bought locally on eBay
and the guy went to question how I would carry the room height
uprights then he looked closer and said 'ah, roof bars'. ;-)

But are there as many people carrying stuff on roof bars / racks these
days? I can remember regularly seeing all sorts of stuff on roof
racks, from sofas to wardrobes to boats and sheet materials / fence
panels but the last time I saw a sofa on the roof of a car was ours?
;-)

A friend tried to get roof-bars for his Megan Coupe but it seems there
may not be such a beast. You could see how one might be able to clamp
onto the roof at the front but not at the back because of the
non-opening rear windows. Not unless you can slide the 'foot' in
between the rubber and the bodywork?

The recommended Thule (Aero) roof-bars for our Meriva are quite short,
meaning we can't carry some of the stuff we used to on the likes of
the Sierra Estate that had long bars that sat further out on the
gutters, rather than a specific mounting point. Whilst they were much
more flexible re what width stuff you could carry, I have tried to get
out of the car under the end and it does hurt (so 'get' why they might
not stick out so much these days). ;-(

Cheers, T i m