Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old filter question

Greetings All,
My son acquired and old oscilloscope, plugged it in, said he got a
spot and then nothing. The scope is an old military unit. The model is
AN/USM 117B.
The power cord had been removed so I looked inside to see if I
could determine where it used to go. I saw what looked like a
capacitor in a rectangular can with hermetically sealed pins, 2 on
each end, coming out. One pin hole was empty and it looks like solder
is splashed on the can around the empty hole. This can is called a
"Filter" on the schematic.
I found the manual online and looked at the schematic. There are
two schematics in the manual showing input power. One has the power
going through the filter and the other does not. Each schematic is
labeled the same.
Since one schematic does not show the filter I want to bypass the
filter. Does this sound like a bad idea?
I don't really care much about the old scope, but I would like to
get it going well enough to turn it into a scope clock.
Thanks,
Eric