jeff

Default washing machine squealing

"Van" wrote in message thlink.net...
My whirlpool washer is 7 years old. Just yesterday it started squealing
loudly during the agitation cycle. It was agitating fine just making noise
like a slipping alternator belt on a car. It spun the drum fine and
silently during the spin cycle. I took off the outer cover but didn't find
any obvious belts. It has a transmission that the motor is attached to.
The transmission seems to be sealed from easy repair. Could this be a motor
coupler for the transmission? Only squealing during the agitation cycle and
not the spin cycle? We are calling a repair shop in the morning if it
doesn't seem too easy. What does this repair typically cost? $100? A
google search for "squealing" "washing machine" gets too many
alt.sex.stories returns.

Hi,

Since we cannot hear noises over the WWW we would be guessing!!
Something in the drain pump, worn motor coupler, motor, are common
noise makers. Worn agitator drive dogs get noisy but usually
chatter/clatter rather than squeal. The tech may run the washer with
the cabinet off to get a better idea where/what this noise is comming
from....

http://www.applianceaid.com/dd_lidswitch.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid