Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old Grob bandsaw.. no torque/ power

wrote in message
On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 3:44:32 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 12:35:28 PM UTC-4,

wrote:
On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 12:29:28 PM UTC-4,

wrote:
Hi all, our old bandsaw stopped working so well. It has no
torque/ power
and when you turn on the unloaded motor it sometimes runs
backwards.

The thought here is that maybe a start or run capacitor had
gone
bad...
but we are all mostly clueless when it comes to motors. Any
ideas
before I try and get the motor out.
(Oh dear.. I think it's a three phase motor... (no cap))

Maybe check the three voltages?
Or a bad motor

George H.

Never mind. problem fixed. (Sometimes all I need is a smart
audience.)

GH

You told us the symptoms, so what was the cause?

We all started out clueless and had to learn somehow.

Oh sorry, one (or two) of the phases was missing. Someone
had been abusing the power plug into the wall outlet...
Five minutes with a screwdriver and all was good.

George H.

I've been troubleshooting electronics since 1970. It's rare for the
problem to be other than a bad connection.

At the Fort Monmouth Army school the instructors heated and removed an
end cap from glass tube fuses and inserted too-short heavy bus wire or
paper tags with "good fuse" on them, to teach us to check the power
first, and test fuses with an ohmmeter.