Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Lawn mower repair

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 4:06:49 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 7/28/2019 2:56 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 7/28/19 1:44 PM, Andrew wrote:
I have a 22 inch recycler toro with briggs and Stratton engine. It
was leaking
oil. When i drained it it has aluminum shavings in it. But couldnt
get around
to fixing that so i fixed the leak put it back together and when i
pull the
cord theres some resistance at the start and it makes a clanking
noise and
won't start. What could that be.

Â*Â*Â*Â* It might be worth your time to look he
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engines/

Â* eBay is another option , I scored a nearly-new (maybe a couple of
hours) Honda 6hp OHC motor for my tiller for less than a hundred bucks
delivered . Mine came from a pressure washer with a defective pump .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Makes more sense for a tiller. With a mower, unless it's a new, higher
end model, might was well look for a new or used mower on Ebay. I had
a Honda Harmony, was the best mower I ever had, beautiful cut, low noise,
excellent mulching with a double blade design. But after about 7 years
the 3 speed tranny went and not only was it $140 for a new tranny, but
what a bitch to take it out, all kinds of little pieces, widgets, a
real nightmare. I found a new Craftsman on Ebay, local, for $160.
IT's still running ten years later. It's noisier, doesn't cut as nice,
doesn't mulch quite as good. One time it stopped moving too. Took me
15 mins to take one small cover off, see that the end of the tension
spring for the belt had broken off and put a zip tie on it. Sears used
a variable speed belt design instead of a 3 speed tranny. Sometimes you
can over complicate things. And I never used but the fastest speed on
the Honda anyway.