Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn[_2_] Paul Drahn[_2_] is offline

Default Skate Bearings - Big Brother ???

On 7/23/2019 9:26 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Perhaps one of the absolute cheapest ball bearings assemblies is the
infamous skate bearing.Â* They're cheap enough I buy them atleast a dozen
at a time for misc projects, and just have them on hand.Â* I probably
have 30 or 40 of them in my spare bearings right, not and a small
package of them in the center drawer of my desk.Â* You can get them in
better grades if you want to, but the plane old cheap import version
holds up just fine for hundreds of projects, not the least of which is
skate wheels. They are even cheaper than buying bronze bushings from
most of the common industrial suppliers.Â* I know.Â* I have a few 8mm bore
bronze bushings on hand too.

I've wondered about this for years.Â* I think I might even have asked
this group before.Â* Is there a big brother to this bearing?Â* Something
bigger and nearly as common so that it can be priced to keep a bunch of
them on hand for miscellaneous project?

Hi, Bob.
Can't answer the question.
But, several years ago I bought a used/abused Chinese metal band saw at
a local business "garage sale". $35.00. Keep it at the plant. Similar
one at home.

The abused one needed bearings. Checking for them on-line, I discovered
the number matched the bearings for skate boards and bought a bunch on
Ebay. Worked ok and saw is still going strong.

My identical saw at home uses a different bearing number and I never
check what the difference is.

Paul