Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk[_2_] Leon Fisk[_2_] is offline

Default Welding machine, point and squeeze the trigger?

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 11:37:48 -0400
Clare Snyder wrote:

snip
I'm still partial to SMAW (stick) welding when I need to deposit lots
of metal or get deep penetration. The AC/DC tombstone is my personal
welding machine of choice For fine work TIG is more easily controlled
- and I am more likely to break out the acetylene torch or take it to
one of 2 friends who are very proficient with the TIG.
Nothing wrong with a GOOD MIG weld -but I've never made a good one -
and it is too easy to make a butt ugly weld that holds, or a good
looking (to the untrained eye) weld that is no good at all.

I had the MIG for quite a few years before getting an old stick
machine. Wish I could have watched stuff like Jody puts on youtube back
when I was starting out. We tend to trust/use what we have worked with
the most

Been playing with a "cobra" or "henrob" torch recently - gives
control approaching TIG for fine work.

Have thought for some time now that a flame control that worked like
the TIG foot pedal would be extremely helpful for acy/oxy torches.
Probably one out there but I'm not going to pony up for it nowadays...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI