Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Arlen G. Holder Arlen G. Holder is offline

Default How the heck does a typical home transfer switch work?

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 05:01:27 -0000 (UTC), Arlen G. Holder wrote:

I agree his box is different than mine, where mine is just like this one:
https://picclick.com/Generac-Transfer-Switch-100-Amp-250-VAC-One-153421838181.html

This is closer, but not exactly either, I think:
https://www.generator-parts.com/manuals/home-standby/078590.pdf

Apparently, they recommend testing the transfer switch _monthly_
https://www.ecmweb.com/contractor/test-transfer-switch

This has a transfer switch testing sequence
https://testguy.net/content/227-Transfer-Switch-Testing-and-Maintenance-Guide

I found a paper copy of the 32-page owners manual, part number 98374 which
is titled "Generac II Emergency Power Systems Owner's Manual" (revision 0,
dated 11/22/1995) and which contains a generic parts list and exploded
diagram for both the generator and transfer switch (apparently they come as
a matched set).

The four fuses in the exploded diagram just say 2 Amps 600Volts, but I
wonder if mine are double that because there are two transfer switches
(where on the net, the video Jeff provided _also_ used red 4 amp fuses!).
https://youtu.be/rT_3JYZS9Mg?t=123

I found that two outfits will sell generac parts to the public online:
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/
https://www.ordertree.com/

I'll call Generac tomorrow to get more details.
888-GENERAC (888-436-3722) extension 4, extension 2
1-262-544-4811