Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Arlen G. Holder Arlen G. Holder is offline

Default How the heck does a typical home transfer switch work?

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 23:34:03 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

The transfer switch needs to be sized fir the total LINE capacity, not
just the genset

Thanks Clare. That makes sense then as to why the puny generator is only 67
Amps, but since the Mains is 200 Amps, it needs two transfer switches of
nominally 100 Amps each.

Your crappy genset control board is not sensing the voltage output
properly, the genset voltage is below spec, or the controller is
mal-adjusted. If the genset voltage does not reach a specified value
it will NOT switch over. That voltage may be adjustable or the sensor
may be shot,

Thanks for that analysis, which I can't argue with.

Some of these voltages appear to be hard coded, based on this sticker
https://i.postimg.cc/Jn85TgZg/transfer11.jpg

Daughter just had to replace the control board on the heat pump on
their boat because it was mis-reading the shore-power voltage by half
- reading 57 instead of 114 - preventing the compressor from running.
Was a blown chip onthe board that was no longer available for
replacementby Flight Systems - the only facility in North America that
services the board which has been obsolete since 2015

I'll start looking up where to source spare parts, after calling Generac
tomorrow (1-800-GENERAC) to see if they still sell parts for this 79848A.

One problem I realized is that I lost 2 of the Buss fuses, which "may" be
why both transfer switches aren't turning on when the power goes out and
the generator turns on.

Funny thing is that advertisement for a similar transfer switch seems to
have the "green" Buss 600Volt fuses spec'd at 2 Amp based on this picture
of the Buss SBS-2 (green color code) for sale
https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/LgUAAOSw64NckUJ-/$/Generac-Transfer-Switch-100-Amp-250-VAC-One-_57.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/1X200QR3/transfer21.jpg

Notice those are "SBS-2" green 600Volt fuses (not BBS!).

The sticker on the side panel of that transfer switch for sale, and on my
side panel both say the same thing, which "implies" 2 amp fuses at 600VAC.
https://i.postimg.cc/KzWDDzcG/transfer09.jpg

My fuses appear to be red (not green), and they appear to be
o BBS-4 (not SBS)
o BBS-5 (not SBS)

So what's odd is that mine are higher amperage, but also a different three
letter code (mine are BBS while the one for sale is SBS).

I tried to get these fuses at Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace today, but none of
them stock these fuse sizes in the 600 VAC rating.
https://i.postimg.cc/DwTNdMhv/transfer05.jpg

I realized I'm _missing_ two fuses, where, I don't recall, but maybe I
removed them to test them and never put them back? It would have been a
long time ago (a year or two) so the _first_ thing I'm gonna do is source
those Buss fuses after figuring out why some are 4amp and some are 5amp.

I'm not sure _why_ some are the red 4 amp and some are 5 amp though (while
the originals seem to be green 2 amp).

Googling, SBS does NOT stand for "slow blow" but for fast-acting!
https://www.ferrazfuses.com/cms_admin/fckeditor/editor/filemanager/connectors/php/bin/Midget%20Gen%20Pur%20SBS.pdf