Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Arlen G. Holder Arlen G. Holder is offline

Default How the heck does a typical home transfer switch work?

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 23:25:34 -0400, wrote:

There are TWO DPDT switches there. I am not sure why they have two but
there are two ungrounded conductors going to each throw of each switch
and the line side seems to be parallel from the POCO. (See that big
taped up split bolt on each ungrounded conductor on the right side).
He said he has two load side panels serving half the house each and I
suspect that is why he needs 2 switches.
Essentially they are probably 2 100a panels fed by a 200a service.

Correction.

I just put some chalk on the raised letters of my mains circuit breaker
which showed the mains breaker to be 200 Amps (not 300 Amps).
https://i.postimg.cc/g2VRj758/transfer25.jpg

There are three separate 100 Amp breakers, each going to a different panel.
https://i.postimg.cc/NFX84jNP/transfer26.jpg

So I think, at this point, that the reason for the TWO 100A Generac model
79848A transfer switches
https://i.postimg.cc/ZnS4W9pb/transfer16.jpg
is simply that each one handles 100 amps nominally.
https://i.postimg.cc/c49KfVwY/transfer01.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to debug why this two-fisted solenoid
isn't switching on automatically - but it does switch on when I flip it
manually.
https://i.postimg.cc/N0wQX4Jm/transfer02.jpg