Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Arlen G. Holder Arlen G. Holder is offline

Default How the heck does a typical home transfer switch work?

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 23:25:34 -0400, wrote:

Essentially they are probably 2 100a panels fed by a 200a service.

What amp service do most people have?

I just put some chalk on the raised letters of my mains circuit breaker
which showed the mains breaker to be 200 Amps (not 300 Amps as I stated
prior).
https://i.postimg.cc/g2VRj758/transfer25.jpg

There are three separate 100 Amp breakers, each going to a different panel.
https://i.postimg.cc/NFX84jNP/transfer26.jpg

So I think, at this point, that the reason for the TWO 100A Generac model
79848A transfer switches
https://i.postimg.cc/ZnS4W9pb/transfer16.jpg
is simply that each one handles 100 amps nominally.
https://i.postimg.cc/c49KfVwY/transfer01.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to debug why this two-fisted solenoid
isn't switching on automatically - but it does switch on when I flip it
manually.
https://i.postimg.cc/N0wQX4Jm/transfer02.jpg