Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default How the heck does a typical home transfer switch work?

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 01:56:52 -0000 (UTC), "Arlen G. Holder"
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 15:34:16 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

How about a real Gernerac model number?

Thanks for the additional questions as this pretty much has to be typical
stuff - but I just have no experience with debugging transfer switches.

This is the model number of the generator, if that's what you're asking
https://i.postimg.cc/ZKBDgGXs/transfer08.jpg

Nope. I'm looking for the model number or name of the transfer box so
I can read the docs which should have wiring and installation
instructions. Not much I can offer unless I know what you have.

Methinks I found the install manual:
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/manuals/rts_inst_man_2013.pdf

"Installing Automatic Generator Generac Guardian"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kWuRHegXuk Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk2D3AQITGA Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kis7j2XNtw Part 3
The transfer box they used looks like yours. Start at 2:12.
https://youtu.be/-Kis7j2XNtw?t=132
Notice that the terminal blocks are labeled.

I did some digging and found that the only excuse for 2 transfer
switches is two generators, or two different sources of backup power
such as generator and solar inverter.

I hate be the bearer of bad news, but you potentially have a miswired
mess. I'm fairly sure it would not pass an electrical inspection in
its present form. If you have time and money, find someone with a
clue and let them fix the mess. My guess(tm) is they would recommend
ripping it all out and starting over with the wiring and installation.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D