Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Arlen G. Holder Arlen G. Holder is offline

Default How the heck does a typical home transfer switch work?

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 22:07:06 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

What size panel do you have? Perhaps 2 100 amp switches in parallel
for a larger panel??? Kinda mickey mouse - but possible?????

Hi Clare,
That was a GREAT question since I just looked and it's NOT what I thought.

I always thought I had 200Amp mains service, but I looked at the mains
breaker which clearly says it's a 300Amp breaker, and on that same mains
panel are three separate 100 Amp circuit breakers (plus a couple of 30 Amp
spares).

So the service must be 300 Amp mains service, where I looked again at the
two double-fisted solenoids in the transfer switches, each of which says
it's 100 Amps.

That makes sense because when the transfer panels were working, they only
ran "most" of the house, in that they didn't run the pool (which is one of
the 100 Amp breakers I spoke about above on the main panel).

Given that, here's what I "think" I have.
o 300 Amp mains service (broken into 3 100 Amp circuits)
o Transfer switch handles only 200 Amps (100 Amps per "box")

Does that sort of sound like it might make sense?