Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Weird Ryobi battery behavior

On 7/16/19 10:16 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:

I have one of the early Ryobi 18V Li-Ion battery packs (I think it's
2.4Ah -- ten separate cells: five paralleled pairs), which the charger
shows as full but the test button on the battery indicates low charge
state (red glow rather than orange or green). I measure 18V across the
terminals, and it drives a tool for several minutes but then will not do
anything at all just a few minutes later.

Internal resistance buildup due to age,

But with a high internal battery resistance, would the tool it's
powering still run at full speed/power? For the short time that it does
work, it performs well even with a circular saw in thick plywood.

Perce