Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Coon[_2_] Mike Coon[_2_] is offline

Default Fixing a headphone jack

In article ,
says...

I have a 1990's era AM/FM Cassette player. It works fine, except that it only plays on the left side. The right channel connection isn't making consistent contact. I tried to clean it using a Q-tip, with most of the cotton removed, and it made it worse.

If there was a way to reach inside the jack, and slightly bend the right-channel contact, I could probably fix it.

I purchased a new unit, and the sound quality just isn't there compared to the old one. Yes, I could just transfer all my old cassettes to digital format, but I don't wish to take the time, since these tapes are mostly from the 1970's, so the sound isn't that great to begin with. I also, don't play them that much.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kirk M

I would say the simplest, cheapish, low-risk thing to try is an
extension cable with gold plated contacts. Unless your plug is already
gold-plated, in which case it is not likely to improve the contact...

Mike.