Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Netbook, back again

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 23:05:12 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 15/07/2019 20:13, T i m wrote:

I don't think we would want 'more features' (than a reliable / basic
NAS, possibly with the option of RAID1) and those we would want we
aren't likely to get ... like the sort of client machine backup we get
as std on WHS?

You probably want a reliable incremental backup to another device/cloud
service.
This is so if you do get an infection on your PC/laptop and it starts
encrypting stuff on the shared drive you can get it back by going back
in time.

Agreed.

I've been playing more with the TeraStation tonight and found it quite
good. Certainly much much easier to configure than OMV. ;-)

Full factory reset.

When logging back into the web admin page it prompted me that a
firmware update was available and I applied it (it did all the work).

I then removed the dead drive and one of the others ( the date code
worked out to 2009 but the NAS has been offline for quite a few
years).

I rebuilt the remaining two drives as RAID1 (LED's by each bay
reflects what's going on).

Created two shares, Public and Private and put a username and password
on Private.

The front backlit LCD display cycles though various status functions
which are user settable (with user settable backlight brightness and
sleep period).

Copied a wodge of files (176MB) to it and they went ok.

25 seconds to the OMV running on a RPi2
20 Seconds to the TeraStation
10 Seconds to the WHS (on the same Gb switch as PC)

Did it all with hardly any reference to the manual [1] (that it also
provides in a SMB share and from a network link on the admin page),
just how such hardware should be. ;-)

I've enabled disk spindown and will play with the other timer / sleep
settings.

It also has two Gb Ethernet ports and if you use one to connect to
another TS, you can duplex the NAS's. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I flicked though it whilst waiting for stuff to see what else it
did. ;-)