Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air Pressure Regulators

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:07:01 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

I seem to have the darnedest time with air pressure regulators.
Particularly at the compressor. I have my compressor set at 155PSI and
the regular set at 125 (I have a machine that requires 125). I know
that isn't much spread, but its the compressor I could afford at the
time. I quit using 20-30 dollar cheap regulators some time ago, but my
last two were name brands running within their range. Coil Hose
Pneumatic was the previous one and the one that just failed was an
Ingersol Rand. I think before that I had a Parker on it. I can't get a
year out of them. If Harbor Freight had a 1/2" that wasn't an all in
one I'd start buying those and just keep spares on the shelf. No my
regulators are not getting shaken apart by the compressor either. They
get mounted to my air dryer with a filter separator in front of it and
the refrigeration dryer after. The filter separator is connected to the
compressor with a flexible line.

Seems like the $75-80 dollar name brands don't last any better than the
$30 cheaper ones.

I just bought a regulator from McMaster Carr, but it won't get here
until Thursday. This evening or in the morning I guess I make a trip to
some local hardware store to get a regulator to get up and running so
I'm not sitting idle for two days. All my CNC mills require air for
something these days. Tool change, air brake, air seal, etc...

As a guy who keeps machine shops up and running, I found your
assessment to be absolutely correct. They have gotten ****tier.

Take a look at a couple that seem to still make decent regulators..
SPEEDAIRE and WILKERSON

One of the most..most..most important thing you can do to get
regulators running over a long period of time....keep them seperated
from anything vibrating and put them on the far side of any water
dryers you have installed. And you HAVE to have dryers installed..else
the water will kill your regulators over time. Poor ones..quicker
than good ones.

Ive literally written off Ingersol/Rand air products of any sort.

*** I think I have three IR products in my shop. The regulator mentioned
(and repaired) already. An air nibbler with a dull cutting anvil from
cutting stainless steel, and a 1/2" impact that so far has outlasted ad out
performed any other impact I have ever owned. My dad used to swear by
Chicago Pneumatic, but I don't think I own any.