Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default wood lathe chuck?

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Since no one seems to have used one, I will throw in my outside
opinion: I think that the biggest possible problem is that the
stock may not be held parallel to the axis. I.e., it may be tilted
to a degree acceptable to a woodworker, but not a metalworker.
Even if you reground the jaws, the grind might only be good for
that diameter.

I'd be threading the back 1-1/2 - 8 to fit a BS-0 dividing head and
an adapter I made for my South Bend. Probably the face would end up
drilled and tapped for studs to clamp gear blanks after the jaws
centered them. A cheap wood chuck seems better for my first attempt
at butchery but I don't have one to examine, to see if the center
hole can be opened to 1.5" and if new jaws can be fitted.

The model for this is a faceplate with four removeable jaws that mount
in radial tee slots, which I saw in an old book. The gear blank mounts
on spacers that allow turning the OD and both faces of the edge, and
the jaws only center it and then are removed, they don't control
wobble or need to be strong enough to resist cutting force.
http://www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer...&%20Clamps.pdf