Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default wood lathe chuck?

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Since no one seems to have used one, I will throw in my outside
opinion: I think that the biggest possible problem is that the stock
may not be held parallel to the axis. I.e., it may be tilted to a
degree acceptable to a woodworker, but not a metalworker. Even if
you reground the jaws, the grind might only be good for that
diameter.

I'd be threading the back 1-1/2 - 8 to fit a BS-0 dividing head and an
adapter I made for my South Bend. Probably the face would end up
drilled and tapped for studs to clamp gear blanks after the jaws
centered them. A cheap wood chuck seems better for my first attempt at
butchery but I don't have one to examine, to see if the center hole
can be opened to 1.5" and if new jaws can be fitted.