Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Color Red - Outdoors

As near as I can tell most paints are out. 10-20 years max, and any UV
exposure reduces that dramatically. A north facing wall can help but in a
shore side (not salt) environment in Arizona that isn't as much help as it
might be elsewhere.

I looked at powder coat, and the best powders start to fade in 20-25 years
from what I have read. That's assuming other factors have not harmed them.

Red metals aren't really "red," and they would need to be coated to prevent
corrosion. Brass (gold finish) red metal is already being incorporated in
the project.

Red anodized aluminum seemed to be an option, but quick checks (not
exhaustive) seemed to indicate that organic pigments used in aluminum
anodizing will fade. My cursory checks didn't show an inorganic red for
aluminum anodizing.

I am prepared (and the person asking is prepared) to leave out the red for
these reasons, but I want to make sure I have exhausted my options. No red
rust isn't an option. LOL.

I'd like it to look good for the maximum remaining life span of those
asking. Maybe as much as 50 years barring further life extension results in
medical research.