Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default any good?

On 12/07/2019 11:27, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 03:05:52 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip

Such a tool might be 'ok' for people who don't know how to use a DMM
as I'm not sure how useful most of the other things that you couldn't
do with a DMM are?

Internal battery resistance is key to starting ability & is a way to measure battery ageing.

Sure, but who would use that and when? 'Most people' just start their
cars until they don't start, then give it to a garage (or call their
breakdown service) and garages are likely to have better tools in any
case?

Not IME they don't.
Three times I told the garage the battery was failing and they "tested"
it and said it was OK.

Then the car wouldn't start.. Oh its because you don't run it for far
enough to charge it was the excuse.

The next time it was your dash cam is flattening it.

The third time I called the RAC and they came out and did a twenty
minute test on the battery, the tester decided the battery was less than
50% of its capacity so they replaced the battery.

Told the garage to get a better tester and someone that knew how to use it.