Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Water damaged cabinets

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 14:50:29 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article rect.com,
Nicholas Ross m
wrote:
The Base of my kitchen units have water damage which I need to repair. I
was going to sand them to a smooth surface and paint them with an egg
shell paint but I am worried that when I sand it will turn to dust and
I have no idea what to seal it with. Can anyone advise?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/i7

Is it melamine faced chipboard? Most are. Make up new panels, if you can't
find them ready made. It's not expensive stuff. Once the water has got
past the melamine and the unit damaged to the point it isn't OK after
drying out, the only decent way.

The picture shows something that looks like swollen MDF, possibly as
tongue-and-groove.

Cut off the bottom inch or two, crosswise, and fit a more waterproof baseboard
to cover the gap...

Thomas Prufer